Wednesday, January 14, 2009

I wish it would snow

It is really cold today and it got me to thinking about snow. We live in the great state of Louisiana where it doesn't snow very often, once a year if we are lucky. I know some people don't consider that lucky. Oh, but I do, I love the snow. Not on the roads, I don't mix car tires and snow. Nope, not since I crashed on a bridge when I was a teenager driving back from my cousins house in Haile. Even Haile froze over that day. How about some older pictures.


The last snow we had was March 7, 2008 (on Jeremy's birthday). When it does snow around here, I leave work immediately when I see the first snow flake. I work in Shreveport which is about an hour from my house. Luckily I have understanding bosses that know how I am about icy roads. The kids get out of school and I pull out the camera and the fun begins. This picture was taken from my patio in the backyard. This is from my front porch.
Look at the poor little unsuspecting flowers. I'm sure it was spring-like temperatures just a few days before.
Brrrrrr. Cold!! But ain't it pretty? I thought this picture turned out nice. Grant's Aunt Kathy from Hampton, AR made this bird feeder for us. The tree this feeder was hanging in is not there anymore. Hurricane Ike blew through here in Sept. and took it down.
A picture of our snow covered pasture, well, as snow covered as we get in these parts.
Now if there is snow at my house there has to be a snowman. Jake and Shea helped me build this one. Our snowmen usually are pretty dirty by the time we finish with them. There isn't a lot of snow so the grass and dirt gets rolled up in their body. This particular snowman also had a little horse manure mixed in. Grant had moved the fence back which meant part of the yard was once part of the pasture. And you know where there are horses there is horse poop. How many people do you know that can say there snowman was part poop? I didn't tell Jake and Shea about the addition until after they were finished.
TaDa, looks like we have a completed piece of art. See, you can't really tell it isn't just dirt and grass.I don't know if you noticed, but Shea had shed the warm ski pants and was just down to her long-johns.

This actually turned out to be a snowwoman instead of a snowman. No, real man would wear a pink princess hat. Shea loves her new friend.


The big boys have to get out the big boy toys. Snowman building is just not their thing anymore. I remember one time when Zach was little it started snowing one night, we went outside at about 10pm and started building a snowman. I don't think I could get him out there now to help me. Here, Zach was waiting on Brandon to get the sled so he can pull him around.
Looks like Brandon got the sled and is ready to ride. It isn't the kind of sled most folks would think of. It is really a wake board. You see down in Louisiana we do a lot more water sports than snow sports. You can't find a real sled just anywhere around here so you have to make do with what you got.

And he's off. I don't think it's easy to ride a wake board in the snow. He didn't get very far before he would bust it. It's fun to watch but I wouldn't dare try it. One of Zach's friends, Tyler, was suppose to come over that day and play in the snow with them. Well, he didn't make it. You remember I said at the first of this post that car tires and snow don't mix? Tyler went around a curve and ended up flipping his car and totaling it out. Thank God he didn't get hurt to bad. They did take him to the hospital to be checked out. He was quite sore for some time. But before long he was back to his old self.
And just look what the weather was like in Homer on March 9, 2008 (Grant's birthday). Only two days after building a snowwoman Shea and Sydney were running around outside with their short-sleeved dresses on and no shoes. Louisiana - if you don't like the weather here, just stick around a few minutes, it's going to change.

Maybe we will get at least a little snow this year. If Baton Rouge got 5 inches earlier in the season we are due.


Charlene

3 comments:

Sylvia said...

oh, how I love the snow....I have a sweatshirt that says, "No Day Like A Snow Day" and the first sign of low lying clouds...cold temps...a little bit of a forecast...out comes the shirt!!!! Just wishful thinking...
I think the best part of it all is that it forces us to all be home together...having fun, making hot chocolate, playing board games, no work, no worries....LOVE IT!!!! You make me want to see SNOW!!! :-)

Smithville USA said...

Yeah, there aren't many people from Louisiana that can say that it snowed on their 18th Birthday..which just happens to be in MARCH!...lol, I love the snow too Leenie and I love all these pictures...you are a lot better at this blogging thing than me!!! Cold as it is today...it could snow..but I don't think it will..oh well its not March yet...lol
:-)

Sylvia said...

oh, and the Haile comment is priceless! I used to love it when we were at Granny Smith's and Uncle Alton would say he was "going to Haile!" :-) I thought that was so cool! He was so funny!!!