I can remember very well the night before his first day of school. He was so excited. We had his school clothes laid out, his lunch box on the counter, and his little backpack all ready for the first day of K-4 at Mt. Olive Christian School. I was excited and sad, all at the same time. Excited for him because he was starting this new chapter in life, yet sad for me because he was starting this new chapter in life. (All you mamas know what I am talking about) How in the world could four years have passed so quickly? He was just a baby and babies aren't supposed to go to school...well, he was MY baby but he was growing up.
So, August 26, 1996 we got up for the very first time to get ready for school. Of course, we had to have pictures to mark the occasion. Pictures of Zach by himself, pictures with Mama, and pictures with Daddy. You only get one "first day of school".
We drove to Athens with all our supplies, ready to conquer the world...or at least conquer the playground. We get to school and Mrs. Perryman was outside waiting on all her new students. There was Ethan Anderson, Ryan Colvin, Kaylan Jordon, Jason Tuggle, Hailee Barnett, Kori Butler, Cooper Suggs, Colton Spurlock, Jesse Beard, Lea Anna Cardwell, Will Pipes, Erica Palmer, Chandler Singleton and several more little four year old kids taking that first step together. I was devastated when I found out I couldn't go to his room with him, Mrs. Perryman thought it was best and she was probably right. Not because Zach was going to cry when I left him but because I was going to cry when I left him. And I did, all the way to work. Now I will fast forward some 14 years and here we are today, May 5, 2010. Only one day left at Summerfield High School. And yes, there will be pictures made tomorrow morning to mark this occasion. You only get one "last day of high school". Again I find myself excited and sad. This time though I think more sad than excited. Of course I'm extremely excited for him and I'm not going to lie and say I'm not a little excited for me. (no more asking, "Zach, do you have any homework?", Zach, do you have any test tomorrow?", Zach, why didn't you tell me you needed that before tonight?", "Zach, did you study for the test you have tomorrow?"...etc.) Someone told me one time that God knew exactly what he was doing when he put those teenage attitudes in those years just before your children moved out, that way you would be glad to see them go. Now that's funny and at times I may have agreed with that but now that the time is getting closer I'm not so sure even teenage attitude is going to make me glad to see him go.
So tomorrow he goes to school, I didn't have to lay out his clothes, or pack his lunch, or make sure everything he needed for tomorrow was in his book bag. I won't be driving him tomorrow to watch him walk into the school for the last time as a student but I bet you good money I'll be crying all the way to work just like that first day. Happy tears for him, sad tears for me. That's ok, though, I thank God for giving me the chance to see this day and watch my little boy grow up.
He has been dancing around here tonight excited as I have ever seen him. I even asked him one time tonight, "boy, are you high?", his response..."high on life". Hahaha, you gotta love it when a teenager can say the are high on life. I am so proud of Zach. God has truly blessed Grant and I with two wonderful children.
Graduation is May 10th and Zach will be ending his school years with two of the little four year old kids he started them with, Ethan and Ryan. Zach and Ethan have been in school together all this time, they both left Mt. Olive after the 9th grade and went to Summerfield. I think Zach has done a fantastic job at picking his friends, they are a great group of guys and I will miss seeing them when they head out on their life's journey but they all know they are welcome at my house anytime. And as a side note, because Zach and Ethan became such good friends, Grant and I ended up with some wonderfully, beautiful people in our lives, Ethan's parent, Kim and Perry.
How in the world did 17 years pass by so fast? Zach is my baby boy and not supposed to be graduating from high school already.
Loving my life and all the people in it,
Charlene
4 comments:
WOW, didn't intend on that post being so long...LOL Just be glad I decided to stop, I could have gone on a lot more.
You made me cry as usual when you write something, you do such a wonderful job of writing. I also remember him when he started to school and I took him when I went to work.Those years have flown by and now we have a wonderful young man. God has truly blesed you and Grant with such a wonderful son and daughter, Keep up the good work that both of you do.
well, once again, you've left me squallin! They grow up all too quickly...you wonder where it all went. Congratulations, Zach!
Charlene, Kim and I feel the same way about you and Grant. We are so blessed to have such dear Christian friends in our lives as well. And Zack has been a blessing for Ethan. And you know I can't make it without my little Sugar Shea.
Post a Comment