Monday, December 1, 2008

Team Jake at the Christmas Festival

Our little Homer group of Team Jake team members, me, Melissa, Zach, Brandon, and Jake, were trying to come up with ways to raise some money for Team Jake. Since Melissa is the chairperson for the Christmas Festival she came up with the idea of having a booth there this year. So we decided that is exactly what we would do. We had a banner from last years marathon along with some signs and a picture of Jake that we picked up before we left Memphis. I have carried those around in the trunk of my car for the last year just waiting on next weekend. I love opening my trunk to put something in there and seeing little Jake's picture. Anyway, we used those things on our table. Here is a picture of our table and I will assure you that the picture of Jake got a lot of attention.

Zach and Jake are manning the booth.

Here is our group. On the front is Jake, me and Melissa. Zach and Brandon are in the back and there is my little helper Kacie sitting in the chair.

People would walk up and ask us about Jake Raborn and man did we have a story to tell. When they ask and we told them the story of that brave little fighter they would, at the least, empty their pockets of change and put it in the "Jingle for Team Jake" jar. (Thanks for the idea Melanie). My mom started us off with her coins she had been collecting for awhile. Thank you Mamaw. One of the neatest things was when we would see little kids come up and pull change from their pockets to put in the jug.

We also had some LSU stuff to raffle off. Now many of you know that LSU has not been helping our cause, especially after the Arkansas game, but those true LSU fans never thought twice about dishing out some money for a chance. Even people that were not LSU fans, I know its hard to believe there are people like that out there, would buy a chance because the money was going to such a good cause. (OK Cousins Sylvia and Ann, I know you are from Arkansas and are probable still smiling, you can stop now. At least Ann didn't send me a sympathy card this year, thanks Ann) Tommy Ellis won the LSU package. Tommy and his wife Lori are long time supporters of St. Jude. Tommy also happens to be something like a brother to me. He and my youngest brother Keith, Melissa's husband, have been friends since they were little bitty fellows.

Then we had our 50/50 raffle. Brandon, Jake, Zach, Kacie and some of their friends sold tickets for $1. At the end of the day a name was drawn. That person got half the money and the other half went to St. Jude. We got this idea from Rickey Bearden. Rickey headed a car show at Lake Claiborne for several years as a St. Jude fundraiser. He wanted to raise enough money for St. Jude to dedicate a room at the hospital to the memory of his grandchildren that died tragically in a house fire. October of 2007 he reached his goal of $75,000. If I'm not mistaken he was several thousand dollars over that goal. Zach and Brandon always sold the 50/50 tickets for Ricky at the carshow so they wanted to do it for Team Jake. Kathleen Parden, Kacie's mom, won the 50/50 raffle.

Saturday was a cold wet day and a lot of people just didn't get out. I think we did pretty well for the turn-out. And Melissa, I think you did a great job organizing things for the festival. I know you worked hard.

Just look, this is what we got from the coin jars, not including the LSU package and the 50/50 raffle. WooHoo, way to go Homer!! I just want to thank everyone that helped out Team Jake and St. Jude. I don't know if you can see it in the first picture, but look closely and you might can see the cross someone drops in our coin jar. The next picture is a close-up. Man, I can't even describe what I felt when I saw that fall out of the jar as we were pouring the change in the middle of the floor. How cool it that!


We had to recruit some help to roll all at that change. So after the festival we went to Keith and Melissa's and had grilled hamburgers and then we rolled coins. We ran out of wrappers so me, Melissa and Keith finished up Monday night.
That's my mom in the chair, not only did she give us all her change she came over and helped roll. I have the BEST Mama!! Lori and Kelsey helped too. Now I have to tell you Kelsey had a little trouble counting to 50. She kept us entertained though, we would laugh at her,(I mean with her), about the time she would get close to 50 she would lose count or drop some pennies. I know she can, I will just assume she was tired too. Lori had helped Melissa all day keeping the festival running smoothly and still came over to help.
Here is Grant and Tommy helping out too. If you came in the door at Keith's Saturday night you better be willing to count some money. Remember Tommy, he won the LSU stuff.


We are already trying to decide what to do to raise money for next year's marathon. I have a brilliant idea but I can't tell you now, got to check with the others. But never fear, I will let you know when we get it ironed out. Not only are we going to be asking for donations we are going to be recruiting some more team members for Jake's team. So you people be ready. Go back to my first two post to read about our trip to the St. Jude Marathon last year if you haven't already. I just can't wait for this weekend. If you have ever considered going, take it from me, it is worth the trip.

Now I wanted to share some other pictures from the festival. There was a free horse and buggy ride. Caroline, Shea, and Carmon would have worn that horse out if we would have let them.

The First United Methodist Childrens Choir sang that morning. They are really good. Shea is the 5th from the right.

This is Aaron, my great-nephew, with his monkey and sword. That little one is full of energy. We had so much fun with him and his sister, Caroline Saturday.

I'm not sure what Clinton is telling Colton. These two are twins and belong to Sylvia and Jon. (remember Madelyn's grandparents?) Of course I claim them as mine also. I never, ever see either of them they don't come over and give me a big ol' hug, it can be at church, in the grocery store or on the football field after a Homer High football game. Now those hugs on Friday nights are a little soggy and smelly be I don't mind a bit.


Here is Zach in the parade riding on the motorized wagon. I tried to get a picture of Grant on the souped up lawn mower but he zoomed by to fast. These are Tommy Sanders' toys and my boys love to play with them.


This is my nephew Rodney, Aaron and Caroline's daddy. He was riding in the parade with the Clover Buds, future 4-H members. Love the hat Rodney.


Now is this an innocent face or what? This is Caroline. Her mama, Jennifer, told her not to get any more of the candy. Now Jennifer, how could you say no to that face? At the beginning of the day this red bucket was full of candy but Caroline and Aaron made a lot of trips past it. I haven't talked to Jennifer and Rodney to see if the kids have gone to sleep yet. They had enough chocolate to keep them up for a few days.


So there you go, that was my Saturday. I hope I haven't bored you to much with my rambling. Remember there is still time to donate to Team Jake at http://www.believeteamjake.com/. You can donate to the team or to a specific team member, doesn't really matter, it all goes to St. Jude.

Charlene

No comments: